Friday, March 8, 2019

My Head's Too Heavy

My head feels as heavy as a bowling ball this morning. I think the stressors within my world are crawling into my head, neck and shoulders.

I could feel the stress in my bones as I drove home at the end of the day yesterday. I was cold. My entire body tensed up. I could feel the tension everywhere.

"Relax ... you will feel the heat faster if you just relax", I told myself.

I was almost at my destination when the heat started infiltrating my bones. It felt wonderful. 

Last night's goal was to stop and get my hair cut on my way home. I didn't want to end up with hair too short or a hair cut different than my last one, so I said I wanted a trim.

Big mistake. I have to go back and do this all over again.

Throughout my hair cut, I felt the tension ebb and flow. The hot water felt wonderful. The heat of the hair dryer felt soothing. I was warming up but still the tension remained.

Oh no! There are too many bangs. Oh no! It's too long. Oh no! She's blowing my hair dry without a part. "Relax ... she will feel my tension and it will affect the outcome of my hair. Just relax" I kept telling myself. But the refrain, "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no....." kept chiming through my mind.

I walked out of the salon with static in my hair that I was unable to tame. I felt like a kid who just took off their toque. Aaaack!

My hair doesn't look awful. It just doesn't look good. 

I didn't get home until after 8:30 last night. And now I must go back and do this all over again. 

I went to bed last night with tension wracking my body. No pain. Simply discomfort, distress and a wish for a relaxed and easy night's sleep.

I woke up with a bowling ball for a head this morning. For the first time in forever, I seriously considered seeking out someone who could massage my stresses right out of my neck. 

Instead, I took two pain killers and remembered the little handy dandy battery operated massager I bought a while ago. I sat at the computer and worked on my morning's puzzles as I waited for the effects of the pain killers to kick in, while using up most of the battery power in my mini massager. "Relax ... this will only work if you stop thinking and simply relax. Relax..."

I think it worked. I can carry on with this last work day of the week, which will end back in the hair salon begging them to trim a little extra length off my overgrown locks.

Yes, the stresses in life are all balling up in my neck. I'm taking it all out on my hair. I think my hair stylist felt it.

I just want to curl up with a nice, fuzzy blanket with a pillow that supports my neck in front of our living room window. All weekend. 

Side bar: The lyrics/music of "I'm Too Sexy" keep running through my mind. If you put that music to my revised lyrics, you'll know what I mean:

My head's too heavy for my neck
Too heavy for my neck
So heavy that it hurts
My head's too heavy for today
Too heavy for today
Yesterday, and the day before
My head's too heavy for today
Too heavy for my work
No way I'm working more

'Cause I'm ready for the weekend, you know what I mean
 I'll settle in and enjoy our home
Yeah, our lovely home
Our renewed home, yeah
I'll rest my big ol' head on a pillow...

And feel the stressors fall away.

No comments:

Post a Comment