Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Next Best Thing

My urge to run out to Mom's has been satisfied. I allowed my angsty feelings to overrule common sense and made some inquiries to see if I could follow my whims this weekend.

It turns out it was very possible. I'm here. Wrapped in the arms of family, friendship and familiarity. Those "3 F's" fill my soul. I'm glad I came.

The spontaneity of my actions have made this a very laid back visit. I was able to meet up with one friend and visit like we had all the time in the world. Our visit felt mutually life affirming.

Although this wasn't the plan, I feel like I have overtaken my brother's family this weekend. We have visited like we have rarely visited before. And it has been good.

The drive. Oh, the drive! I have missed it so. I love how my thoughts flow when I'm on the open road.

I had a lot on my mind. Being confined to my car for five solid hours, with no no other distractions other than driving on my mind, I had the chance to think my thoughts through and through.

At home, I lose myself in my habits of distraction. Scrolling, Netflixing, sleeping and eating are mind numbing. In the car, I have no where to go and nothing to distract me (Mother Nature did her job of keeping my eyes on the road as no sign of wild life or birds distracted me either).

Nothing has changed but my perspective. I have simply taken a step away from life as I know it and have given it a little distance. I have no idea if any answers will come to me on my five hour drive home or not. Sometimes the answer is not an answer but simply a fresh perspective.

I ran away this weekend. Now it is time to run back home. Back to my family, friends and the familiar place I like to call home.

I wasn't able to run out to Mom's this weekend, but this has been the next best thing. I think Mom would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment